Head of Creative
(Bay Area preferred – but potential for this to be a remote position. Open to applicants out-of-state in California, Colorado, Florida, Massachusetts, Nevada, New York, Oregon, Texas, Washington.)
Do you want to make an impact? We are a small but mighty (and growing!) creative and marketing agency looking for our next new member of the leadership team in the very important role of “Head of Creative”. As our new (and first!) Head of Creative, you will bring a stellar resume of deep creative and design experience, a passion for great design (in all its forms), and a hunger to jump in, get your hands dirty, and lead a fantastic crew of some of the nicest and hard-working creatives in the industry (we might be a bit biased, but our clients tell us it’s true!).
Our Head of Creative needs to bring a unique blend of creative vision and business sense coupled with strong leadership skills that can inspire and direct our talented team of creative professionals (graphic designers, content editors, video animators, producers, and more). The Head of Creative’s responsibilities include being involved in every aspect of a creative project, from the idea phase to the execution. This role puts you front and center as you supervise, guide, and collaborate with our creative teams to create best-in-class creative for some of the world’s best known entertainment brands. Any given day your contribution can include global marketing campaigns, digital assets and collateral, branding for companies and their properties, web, digital experience, video production, and more. Filling this role means you have the innate ability to wow our clients with big ideas and outside the box thinking and are able to convey that thinking to your team for execution.
The Head of Creative reports to the chief executive officer (CEO) for major decisions and approvals, but you will do most of your work independently and collaboratively along with other Off Base leadership using your professional and skilled judgment to manage the day-to-day details of your projects and the creative teams. Additionally, you will be tasked with leading specific projects, mentoring creative team members, contributing to the larger agency, and collaborating with all Off Base team members. This role requires strong leadership qualities, immense creativity, a commitment to collaboration, a high level of attention to detail, and both client & account and project management skills.
- Develop creative / brand direction and strategy for global clients, marketing campaigns, and Off Base identity
- Build, lead, and review work of our creative team in the production of all creative collateral (web, print, digital, video, etc.)
- Spearhead and manage creative strategy for both small-scale and large-scale projects, harnessing strategic digital and brand design, compelling content, and technology
- Collaborate with the marketing, content strategy, business development, and other departments in developing marketing plans and new client and business proposals, analyzing results, and identifying new and growth opportunities
- Analyze brand tracking, market trends, consumer need, and the competitive landscape
- Identify the latest in design and creative trends and strategy to share with Off Base leadership and creative teams
- Meet budget standards by forecasting and managing expenses
Creative Department Responsibilities
- Supervise our cross-functional team of graphic designers, content editors, and videographers in the strategic development of messages and deliverables
- Mentor and encourage our creative team members to help present opportunities and chart their professional growth while fostering a positive work environment
- Own the responsibility of the quality and completion of all work projects assigned to members of the creative team
- Prioritize work and resources across engagements based on short- and long-term needs, establishing production schedules by collaborating with designers, content editors, and production departments
- Conduct brainstorming sessions with our creatives, maintaining strategic and creative thinking to develop innovative and actionable creative initiatives in a fiscally responsible manner
- Review and approve all creative assets developed by our team, ensuring deliverables that effectively address marketing goals and challenges
- Produce fresh, innovative work that translates complex ideas into compelling materials, assets, and experiences for our clients and their fans
- Present, or oversee presentation of final concepts, and obtain approvals for deliverables
- Report progress of projects to CEO and leadership team at major stages of their conception, creation, and execution
- Ensure designs and content reflect consistently and positively our clients’ (and their products’) brand and ideals
- Work with internal and external strategic partners to create output using the most current industry best practices
- Serve as a liaison between our departments (e.g. Marketing and Creative Services), as well as between the creative team and individual clients
- Anticipate problems that may impede a project from completing on time and implement solutions
- Inspire and brainstorm fresh ideas, manage deliverables, and captivate the target market
- Contribute to the management and fiscal health of the company beyond creative services by supporting larger company vision through operational efforts.
- Contribute thought leadership and creative vision in the development of new business materials.
- Generate well-thought-through proposals, presentations and strategy briefings that ‘get’ the big picture.
- Actively generate new leads, lead pitch teams win new business.
- Contribute as an industry-leading voice to company blogs, social feeds, and publications to support wider agency marketing efforts.
- Expected to participate and contribute to thought leadership. This includes participation in external professional organizations, conferences, and written contributions to internal and external publications.
- Be able to confidently speak on behalf of Off Base to the news media about a relevant industry trend or event.
- Be an active leader at Off Base and build the organization and best practices across the organization.
- In all areas — champion justice, equity, diversity and inclusion.
- 10+ years of related experience with 5+ years of creative direction and leadership in agency or client side setting.
- 5+ years of experience creating marketing / advertising campaigns from developing vision and the message platform to overseeing production on time and budget.
- Experience creating integrated content across all marketing channels from digital, social media, paid media, mobile, but also understanding offline and print.
- Proven experience with concept development, with the ability to bring strong creative vision with an understanding of business objectives.
- Experience hiring, managing, and developing a team who are responsible for the day-to-day execution of client programs.
- Highly skilled with leading a team of creative talent.
- Hold a bachelors from an accredited college or university. Such as in Advertising, Art, Writing, or other related creative field.
- Prior experience with copywriting, design, or production.
- Prior project management experience, with a focus on creative direction.
Interested? Please send your cover letter, resume, and samples of social media work you’ve done for your company or clients to firstname.lastname@example.org.